Wednesday, 30 September 2026

IELTS Speaking — 28 September 2026

IELTS Speaking — 28 September 2026


Part 1 + 3 Cue Cards + Follow-ups | Band 9 Samples

PART 1 — MIRROR

1. Do you often look at yourself in the mirror?
Quite often, especially before I head out. I’ll usually have a quick glance at my hair, check that everything looks presentable, and then I’m good to go. I’m not someone who stands there for ages examining every little detail.

2. Do you have a favourite mirror at home?
Actually, I do. There’s a full-length one in my bedroom that I use all the time. It’s in a really convenient spot, so I can see my whole outfit before leaving, which saves me from any last-minute fashion disasters!

3. Did you use mirrors a lot when you were younger?
Not particularly. I suppose I was more interested in playing and getting on with my day than worrying about how I looked. These days, I’m definitely more conscious of my appearance, so I probably use them a lot more.

4. What do you usually check when you look in a mirror?
Usually my hair and my overall appearance. If I’m heading somewhere important, I’ll also check my clothes and make sure nothing looks out of place. Basically, it’s a quick reality check before I step out!


---

PART 1 — FREE TIME

1. What do you usually do when you get some time to yourself?
It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I’ll watch something light, browse my phone or just sit quietly with a cup of tea. If I’ve had a hectic day, though, doing absolutely nothing can feel like the perfect way to unwind.

2. Do you prefer relaxing alone or spending time with other people?
A bit of both, to be honest. I enjoy having a chat and spending time with people I’m close to, but I also need some quiet time to recharge. After a busy day, a little peace and quiet can be priceless.

3. Is it easy for you to find time for yourself?
Not always. There always seems to be something waiting to be done, so I have to make a conscious effort to carve out some personal time. Once I actually do it, though, I wonder why I didn’t do it sooner!

4. Has the way you spend your spare time changed recently?
Definitely. I used to be much more spontaneous, whereas now I tend to use my free time more intentionally. I’d rather do something that genuinely helps me relax than spend an hour mindlessly scrolling.


---

PART 1 — BAGS

1. What type of bag do you normally carry?
I usually go for something practical rather than overly stylish. A medium-sized bag works best because I can fit all my essentials in without carrying around a huge load. I like things that are functional but still look decent.

2. Do you prefer small bags or large ones?
Somewhere in between is ideal for me. Tiny bags look nice, but they’re a nightmare when you actually need to carry something useful! At the same time, I don’t want to lug around a massive bag all day.

3. How often do you buy a new bag?
Not very often, actually. I tend to stick with one until it starts looking worn out or I find something that’s genuinely more practical. I’m not really someone who buys a new one just because there’s a new trend.

4. What do you usually keep in your bag?
The usual essentials: my phone, wallet, keys and a few personal things. I also tend to carry tissues and some basic makeup because you never know when you might need them. My bag is basically a small emergency kit!


---

PART 1 — SHOES

1. What kind of shoes do you wear most often?
I’m usually in something comfortable, especially if I know I’ll be on my feet for a while. Trainers and simple everyday shoes are my go-to options. Looking good is important, but if my feet are killing me, it’s just not worth it!

2. Do you prefer comfortable shoes or fashionable ones?
Comfort wins hands down. Of course, I like shoes that look good, but I’m not prepared to suffer for fashion. If a pair looks amazing but starts hurting after ten minutes, it’s going straight back on the shelf.

3. How often do you buy new shoes?
Probably a couple of times a year. I don’t constantly shop for them, but I’ll replace a pair when it’s worn out or when I need something for a particular occasion. I’d rather buy fewer pairs that I’ll actually wear.

4. Is there a particular pair you really like?
Sure, I have a pair of trainers that I absolutely love. They’re incredibly comfortable and go with almost everything I wear. They’ve become my default choice whenever I’m going somewhere casual.


---

PART 2 — CUE CARD 1

Describe a time when you got a defective item.

You should say:

what the item was

when and where you bought it

what was wrong with it

what you did about it


Band 9 Sample

The first thing that springs to mind is a pair of wireless earbuds I bought online a few months ago. I’d been meaning to get a decent pair for ages because I listen to podcasts and music quite regularly, so I was pretty excited when they finally arrived.

I ordered them from a well-known online store, and at first glance, everything seemed absolutely fine. The packaging was intact, the earbuds looked brand new, and they connected to my phone without any trouble. However, the moment I started using them properly, things went downhill pretty quickly!

One of the earbuds kept cutting out every few minutes, while the other one worked perfectly. I tried charging them again, resetting the Bluetooth connection and even checking the instructions, but nothing seemed to do the trick. It was incredibly frustrating, especially because I’d paid a fair amount for them.

In the end, I contacted customer service and explained the problem. Thankfully, they didn’t make me jump through hoops. They arranged a return, and I received a replacement a few days later.

Looking back, the experience was annoying, but at least the company handled the complaint professionally. What really mattered to me was that they took responsibility and sorted it out without making the situation more difficult than it needed to be.



PART 2 — CUE CARD 2

Describe a famous person from your area.

You should say:

who this person is

how you know about them

what they are famous for

why people in your area admire them


Band 9 Sample

The person who immediately springs to mind is A. R. Rahman, who is one of the most well-known people associated with Chennai. Obviously, I don’t know him personally, but growing up here, I’ve been surrounded by his music, so he has always been a familiar name.

He’s an internationally recognised composer and musician, and what makes him particularly remarkable is the range of his work. He has created music for countless Indian films, but he has also worked on international productions and received major global recognition.

I remember hearing his songs everywhere when I was younger, whether it was on television, in shops or simply playing in someone’s car. His music has a very distinctive quality to it, and somehow it manages to blend traditional Indian sounds with modern musical styles.

What I find particularly interesting is that his success hasn’t been limited to one particular audience. People from completely different backgrounds seem to connect with his work. For someone from Chennai, that feels quite special because his career has put the city on the international cultural map.

So, although I’ve never met him, I’d say he’s someone I’ve admired from a distance. His creativity, consistency and international achievements are probably the main reasons he remains such a respected figure.



PART 2 — CUE CARD 3

Describe a time when you built something from scratch.

You should say:

what you built

when and where you built it

how you built it

how you felt about the result


Band 9 Sample

A project that immediately comes to mind was a small wooden bookshelf I made from scratch at home. I’d wanted one for a while because I had books lying around everywhere, and rather than buying another piece of furniture, I thought, why not try making one myself?!

I started the project during a fairly quiet weekend. I bought a few wooden boards, measured the space where I wanted the shelf to go and watched a couple of tutorials to get an idea of what I was doing. To be honest, I was probably a little too confident at the beginning!

The first challenge was getting the measurements right. I managed to cut one of the pieces slightly too short, which threw a spanner in the works and meant I had to start again. After that, I slowed down and double-checked everything before making another cut.

Once all the pieces were ready, I sanded them, put them together and gave the shelf a simple finish. It took much longer than I’d expected, but when I finally put my books on it, I felt ridiculously proud of myself.

It certainly wasn’t perfect, and there were a few tiny imperfections, but that was actually part of the charm. I’d built something useful with my own hands, and that sense of achievement was far more satisfying than simply ordering one online.



IELTS Speaking Part 3 — Band 9 Samples

1. A time you got a defective item

1. How common do you think defective products are nowadays?
I’d say they’re fairly common, particularly with mass-produced goods. When companies manufacture thousands of items, a small number are bound to have faults. That said, stricter quality checks and better technology have helped reduce the problem considerably. In most cases, it’s more noticeable with cheaper products.

2. Who should be responsible when a product is defective – the company or the customer?
In my view, the manufacturer or seller should take responsibility if the fault existed before the purchase. After all, consumers have paid for something that’s supposed to work properly. However, if the damage was clearly caused by careless use, then the buyer should probably bear the cost. So, it really depends on where the problem originated.

3. Do you think online shopping has more defective items than in-store shopping?
Not necessarily, although the problem can feel more noticeable online. Buyers can’t physically examine an item before paying for it, so they’re relying heavily on photographs and reviews. There are also third-party sellers with varying standards. Having said that, reliable platforms usually offer refunds or replacements, which gives customers some protection.

4. What can companies do to prevent defective products?
One of the main things they can do is strengthen their quality-control procedures. Every item should be properly tested before it reaches the customer, particularly electronic or expensive products. Companies could also monitor customer complaints to identify recurring faults. That would allow them to fix problems at the production stage rather than simply dealing with returns later.


---

2. A famous person from your area

1. Why do you think this person is so popular?
I think popularity usually comes from a combination of talent, visibility and a strong connection with the public. If someone consistently produces work that people genuinely enjoy, their reputation tends to grow naturally. In the case of a well-known local figure, people may also feel a sense of pride because the person represents their city or community.

2. Do you think famous people have a positive or negative influence on society?
It can go either way. Public figures have a huge platform, so they can encourage people to support good causes, develop healthy habits or pursue their ambitions. However, if they promote unrealistic lifestyles or irresponsible behaviour, younger audiences may copy them. So, I think their influence largely depends on what they choose to promote.

3. What qualities do you think are important for someone to become successful?
In my view, talent alone isn’t enough. Persistence is probably one of the most important qualities because people inevitably face setbacks along the way. I’d also mention adaptability, since circumstances can change very quickly. Someone who can learn from mistakes and adjust their approach is more likely to achieve long-term success.

4. Do you think people from your area get enough opportunities to become famous?
I’d say opportunities have improved considerably, mainly because of social media and digital platforms. Someone with genuine talent can now reach a huge audience without necessarily having connections in the traditional entertainment industry. However, access to resources, training and professional networks can still make a significant difference. So, the opportunities exist, but they aren’t necessarily equal for everyone.


---

3. A time you built something from scratch

1. Do you think it is important for young people to learn practical skills like building or DIY?
Absolutely. I think practical abilities can make young people more independent and confident. They learn how to solve problems rather than immediately relying on someone else. For instance, knowing how to assemble furniture or carry out a simple repair can be surprisingly useful in everyday life. It also gives them a sense of achievement.

2. What kinds of things do people usually build from scratch in your country?
People make quite a range of things, depending on their skills and interests. Some might build simple pieces of furniture, garden structures or decorative items, while others enjoy more traditional crafts. There’s also growing interest in DIY home projects because people can find tutorials and instructions online. So, it’s no longer limited to skilled craftsmen.

3. Is it better to build things yourself or buy ready-made products? Why?
I think it depends on the situation. Making something yourself can be more satisfying and allows you to customise it according to your needs. It can also be cheaper in some cases. On the other hand, buying a finished product saves time and usually gives you a more polished result. For something complicated, I’d probably leave it to the professionals.

4. How has technology changed the way people build things nowadays?
Technology has made the whole process much more accessible. People can watch detailed tutorials, use design software and even operate tools such as 3D printers without having years of experience. In addition, online communities allow beginners to ask questions and learn from others. As a result, something that once seemed too complicated can now be attempted by an ordinary person at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

28 September 2026 IELTS Exam writing questions and band 7 5 samples

28 September 2026 IELTS Exam writing questions and band 7 5 samples  1. Academic Writing Task 1 — 170 words The circular chart illustrates t...