Tuesday, 11 August 2026

IELTS Speaking Band 9 Samples — Work & Careers

IELTS Speaking Band 9 Samples — Work & Careers



Part 1

1. What kind of work would you like to do in the future?
Ideally, I’d like to run something of my own, probably in education or digital content. I enjoy having creative control rather than being told exactly what to do. At the same time, I’d want a small, reliable team around me. That kind of setup would give me both freedom and stability.

2. What is the most important quality in a good employee?
For me, reliability comes first. Someone who takes ownership and gets things done without constant supervision is worth their weight in gold. Skills can be improved with training, but a poor attitude is much harder to fix. I’d always choose a dependable person over someone who simply looks impressive on paper.

3. Would you prefer to work alone or as part of a team?
Personally, I’m happier working independently for most tasks. I can concentrate better and move at my own pace without waiting for everyone else. That said, brainstorming with a good team can be incredibly productive. So, ideally, I’d like a mix of both.

4. Have your career plans changed over time?
Definitely. When I was younger, I had a completely different picture of my future. As I gained experience, I realised that flexibility and doing something meaningful mattered more to me than simply having a prestigious title. My priorities have shifted quite a bit, and I think that’s perfectly normal.

5. What kind of workplace would you find comfortable?
A relaxed but professional environment would suit me best. I like people being friendly and approachable without turning the office into a constant social gathering. Having some flexibility and being trusted to do my job would also make a huge difference. I work best when there’s mutual respect rather than unnecessary pressure.


---

Part 2 — Cue Card

Describe a person who gave you useful advice about your career or studies.

Someone who gave me genuinely useful advice was one of my former teachers. I remember speaking to her when I was unsure about which direction to take with my studies and career. At that point, I was looking at several options and honestly felt like I was going around in circles.

Instead of telling me what to choose, she asked me to think about the kind of life I actually wanted. She said that choosing something simply because it sounded prestigious or paid well could leave me miserable later. Her advice was basically to find something that matched my strengths and that I could see myself doing for years, rather than chasing someone else’s definition of success.

What really stuck with me was her saying that a career is not a one-time decision. I could learn, change direction and start again if something didn’t work out. That took a lot of pressure off my shoulders.

I followed her advice and started looking at my options from a completely different angle. Instead of focusing only on money or status, I considered my interests, personality and long-term goals. Looking back, that conversation was a turning point for me. It helped me make a decision with a clearer head rather than simply following what other people expected.


---

Part 3

1. Why do some people change careers several times?
I think people become much more willing to make a change when their priorities shift. Someone might initially chase a high salary, only to realise later that they value flexibility or personal satisfaction more. Others simply discover that their original choice doesn’t suit their personality. With so many career options available nowadays, staying in one field for decades is no longer the only path.

2. What qualities do employers look for when hiring young people?
Apart from basic qualifications, I think employers pay close attention to attitude. Being willing to learn, communicating clearly and taking responsibility can make a young applicant stand out. Experience is obviously limited at that stage, so employers often look for potential rather than a perfect track record. A person who learns quickly can become far more valuable than someone who already knows everything but has a poor attitude.

3. Is job satisfaction more important than salary?
To a large extent, yes, although money still matters because financial security affects everyday life. Once someone's basic needs are comfortably covered, though, earning more may not compensate for constant stress or feeling miserable at work. Spending most of the week doing something you dislike can eventually affect your relationships and overall well-being. So I’d say a decent income combined with genuine satisfaction is the ideal balance.

4. How can companies help employees develop professionally?
Companies can make a huge difference by giving people access to proper training and meaningful responsibilities. Sending someone on a course is useful, but allowing them to actually apply those skills is even better. Regular feedback and mentoring can also help people understand where they need to improve. When employees can see a clear path for growth, they’re generally more motivated to stay and perform well.

5. Should employers be responsible for their workers’ long-term career development?
To some extent, yes, but I wouldn’t put the entire responsibility on the company. Employers should provide opportunities, guidance and training, especially when those skills benefit the organisation. Ultimately, though, individuals have to take charge of their own direction. Nobody knows a person’s ambitions better than they do, so waiting for a company to plan an entire future isn’t realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Speaking October 2026 Part 1 — 20 Core Topics

IELTS Speaking October 2026 Part 1 — 20 Core Topics 1. HOME / ACCOMMODATION 1. What kind of home do you live in? I live in a fairly spacious...