IELTS Speaking Universal Band 9 Template – Objects
Works for cue cards like:
Describe a toy you liked in your childhood.
Describe an important technological product you bought.
Describe something you made with your hands for a friend.
Describe an item of clothing you wear most often.
Describe something you bought from a tourist place.
Describe a gift you received.
Describe something you use every day.
Describe something valuable you own.
Describe an old object you still have.
Describe something you borrowed from someone.
Describe something you lost.
Describe something you would like to buy.
Describe an object that has sentimental value.
Describe something that makes your life easier.
Describe a piece of technology you cannot live without.
Universal Band 9 Speaking Formula
1. Opening
Choose one:
“Oh... that’s actually an interesting topic.”
“Hmm... this one was surprisingly easy.”
“That’s an object I’ll never forget.”
“The first thing that popped into my head was ________.”
“As soon as I heard this topic, ________ was the first thing I thought of.”
“I’m not usually someone who gets attached to objects, but this one is quite special to me.”
2. Introduce the Object
“The object I’m thinking of is ________.”
“I got it ________.”
“It may not look particularly special to other people, but for me, it has a lot of meaning.”
“The funny thing about this object is ________.”
“What makes it special is ________.”
“I’ve had it for ________, and somehow, I’ve never got tired of it.”
3. Describe the Object
“If I had to describe it, I’d say it’s ________.”
“It’s basically ________, with ________ and ________.”
“One thing that really stands out is ________.”
“What I like most about it is ________.”
“It may sound like a small detail, but ________.”
“It’s simple, but there’s something quite appealing about it.”
4. One Memorable Moment / Story
“I can think of loads of moments involving it, but one really sticks in my mind.”
“I remember a time when ________.”
“Out of nowhere, ________.”
“That’s when things got interesting because ________.”
“Believe it or not, ________.”
“I still remember thinking, ‘Wow... ________.’”
“That was probably the moment when this object became more than just an ordinary possession.”
5. Feelings
“Whenever I see or use it, I feel ________.”
“There’s something about it that instantly ________.”
“It always reminds me of ________.”
“It takes me straight back to ________.”
“It’s more than just an object; it’s a reminder of ________.”
“Even now, it gives me that same feeling.”
6. Reflection
“Looking back, I think ________.”
“Funny enough, I still catch myself ________.”
“It just goes to show that ordinary objects can carry extraordinary memories.”
“I’ve realised that the value of an object isn’t always about its price.”
“Sometimes, it’s the story behind something that makes it priceless.”
“Objects like this quietly hold onto memories that might otherwise fade away.”
7. Ending
“So yeah... that’s exactly why this object means so much to me.”
“I honestly don’t think I’ll ever part with it.”
“It may not be worth much financially, but emotionally, it’s priceless.”
“That’s what makes it so memorable for me.”
“Every time I see it, I’m reminded of that particular chapter of my life.”
---
Natural Expressions
Believe it or not...
Funny enough...
To be honest...
Honestly speaking...
Out of nowhere...
Before I knew it...
Looking back...
Come to think of it...
Ever since then...
That’s when it hit me...
The best part was...
It completely caught me by surprise.
It has a special place in my heart.
I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
It brings back a flood of memories.
It takes me down memory lane.
I’ve grown quite attached to it.
It’s been with me through thick and thin.
It may sound silly, but...
It’s one of those things you simply can’t replace.
---
Band 9 Idioms & Expressions
a labour of love – something made with great care
worth its weight in gold – extremely useful or valuable
one of a kind – completely unique
a trip down memory lane – something that brings back memories
hold sentimental value – have emotional importance
have a soft spot for – feel especially fond of something
stand the test of time – remain useful or special for a long time
part with something – give something away
keep something close – keep something because it matters
priceless to me – emotionally extremely valuable
bring back memories – make you remember the past
come in handy – prove useful
get plenty of use out of – use something frequently
a treasured possession – something particularly valued
more than meets the eye – more interesting or meaningful than it first appears
---
High-Scoring Vocabulary
Instead of old:
vintage
well-preserved
time-worn
traditional
nostalgic
Instead of beautiful:
elegant
striking
attractive
eye-catching
distinctive
Instead of useful:
practical
convenient
versatile
indispensable
handy
Instead of special:
meaningful
sentimental
cherished
significant
priceless
Instead of expensive:
costly
high-end
premium
pricey
valuable
Instead of small:
compact
pocket-sized
miniature
lightweight
---
Flexible Linking Phrases
“The funny thing is...”
“What stood out the most was...”
“Believe it or not...”
“That’s when I realised...”
“Ever since then...”
“Looking back...”
“Without even noticing...”
“That’s exactly why...”
“I still remember...”
“It almost felt like...”
“The best part was...”
“What makes it even more special is...”
“On top of that...”
“Come to think of it...”
“That might sound insignificant, but...”
---
Universal Topics This Covers
✔ A childhood toy
✔ A technological product
✔ A gift
✔ Something handmade
✔ An item of clothing
✔ A souvenir
✔ Something you bought
✔ Something you use every day
✔ Something valuable
✔ Something old
✔ Something borrowed
✔ Something you lost
✔ Something you want to buy
✔ A favourite possession
✔ Something that reminds you of someone
✔ Something that made your life easier
---
Band 9 Secret
Don’t spend two minutes listing the object’s features.
Give the object a story.
Describe what it looks like → explain where it came from → zoom in on one memorable incident → explain how it made you feel → finish by explaining why it still matters.
That makes even an ordinary object—such as a watch, mug, T-shirt, toy or phone—sound like a genuine IELTS Part 2 answer rather than a memorised description.
---
Sample 1 – Describe a Toy You Liked in Your Childhood
Oh... that’s actually an interesting topic because it instantly takes me down memory lane.
The first thing that popped into my head was a small remote-controlled racing car I had when I was around nine. I’m not usually someone who gets attached to toys, but this one was quite special to me. My parents gave it to me for my birthday, and at the time, I honestly thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever owned.
If I had to describe it, I’d say it was a bright red car with black racing stripes, tiny headlights and a chunky little remote control. It wasn’t particularly sophisticated, but one thing I really loved was how quickly it could zip around corners.
I can think of loads of memories involving it, but one really sticks in my mind. My cousins and I once built a makeshift racetrack in the living room using cushions, books and cardboard boxes. Out of nowhere, the car crashed into a flowerpot and stopped working. I was absolutely gutted. My dad patiently fixed it later that evening, and when it started moving again, I was over the moon.
Whenever I think about that toy, I feel incredibly nostalgic. It reminds me of those carefree afternoons when we could turn the simplest thing into an adventure.
Looking back, I’ve realised that the toy itself wasn't particularly valuable. The memories attached to it are what made it priceless.
So yeah... that’s why I still have a soft spot for that little racing car.
---
Sample 2 – Describe an Important Technological Product You Bought
Hmm... this one was surprisingly easy.
The object that immediately came to mind was my laptop. I bought it a few years ago when I needed something reliable for work and studying. I’m not usually someone who gets overly excited about technology, but this particular purchase genuinely changed the way I work.
It’s a fairly slim, silver laptop with a large screen and a comfortable keyboard. There’s nothing particularly flashy about its appearance, but what I really appreciate is how versatile it is. I can use it for teaching, preparing lessons, watching videos, organising files and even keeping track of my daily tasks.
I can think of loads of moments when it has come in handy, but one really sticks in my mind. I once had to prepare a large amount of teaching material within a very short time. I was working late, jumping between documents, presentations and online resources. Believe it or not, the laptop handled everything without slowing down, and I managed to finish the work before the deadline.
Whenever I use it, I feel a sense of relief because I know I can rely on it. It has become much more than an electronic device; it’s practically part of my everyday routine.
Looking back, I think a good technological product doesn't necessarily have to be the latest model. It simply has to make your life easier.
So yeah... that’s why this laptop is probably one of the most useful things I’ve ever bought.
---
Sample 3 – Describe Something You Made With Your Hands for a Friend
Oh... that’s actually a lovely topic.
The first thing that popped into my head was a handmade photo frame I made for a close friend. I’m not particularly artistic, so I was honestly surprised that I managed to make something that looked decent.
It was a simple wooden frame decorated with small pieces of coloured paper, a few dried flowers and a handwritten message at the bottom. I made it for my friend’s birthday because I wanted to give her something personal rather than simply picking up a gift from a shop.
I can think of loads of moments from that day, but one really sticks in my mind. I remember sitting at my desk late at night, trying to glue everything into place. Out of nowhere, one of the flowers fell off and took part of the decoration with it. I nearly gave up, but I decided to start that section again. Believe it or not, the second attempt looked much better.
When I finally gave it to her, she was genuinely touched. That moment made all the effort worthwhile.
Whenever I think about that frame, I feel strangely proud. It reminds me that a handmade gift doesn't have to be perfect to be meaningful.
Looking back, I think the time and thought we put into something can matter far more than its price tag.
So yeah... that’s why I still have a soft spot for that little frame. It was a labour of love, and that’s what made it special.
---
Sample 4 – Describe an Item of Clothing You Wear Most Often
To be honest, this one is pretty easy.
The first thing that came to mind was a plain black cotton T-shirt that I wear far more often than I probably should. It may sound like a very ordinary item, but I've grown quite attached to it over the years.
It’s nothing fancy—just a soft black T-shirt with a small logo on the chest. It fits comfortably, goes with almost anything and, most importantly, doesn’t require much thought. I can throw it on with jeans, shorts or even casual trousers, so it’s basically my go-to option when I’m in a hurry.
I can think of loads of occasions when I've worn it, but one memory really sticks in my mind. I took it on a short trip with friends, and we ended up spending almost the entire day outdoors. We walked around, stopped at a roadside café and eventually watched the sunset together. It was one of those completely unplanned days that somehow turns into a great memory.
Whenever I wear that T-shirt, I feel comfortable and relaxed. It also brings back memories of that trip, which is probably why I keep reaching for it.
Looking back, I've realised that the clothes we value most aren't always the most fashionable ones. Sometimes, comfort and memories win hands down.
So yeah... that's why this simple T-shirt has become a bit of a wardrobe favourite.
---
Sample 5 – Describe Something You Bought from a Tourist Place
Oh... that’s actually a topic I can talk about quite easily.
The object that comes to mind is a small handmade wooden elephant that I bought from a local market while visiting Jaipur. I’m not usually someone who collects souvenirs, but this one caught my eye immediately.
It’s a palm-sized wooden elephant with colourful hand-painted patterns and tiny decorative details. It isn’t particularly expensive or valuable, but what stood out to me was the craftsmanship. You could actually see slight imperfections in the paint, which somehow made it feel more authentic rather than mass-produced.
I can think of loads of things I saw at that market, but one moment really sticks in my mind. I remember walking past several stalls when I noticed an elderly craftsman carefully painting a similar elephant by hand. I stopped for a while and watched him work. Before I knew it, I was chatting with him about how long the process took, and that's what convinced me to buy one.
Whenever I look at it, I instantly remember that colourful market, the smell of spices in the air and the sound of people bargaining around me. It’s more than just a souvenir; it’s a little reminder of the trip.
Looking back, I think souvenirs are most meaningful when they have a story behind them.
So yeah... that’s why I still keep that wooden elephant on my shelf. It may be small, but it carries a whole travel memory with it.

No comments:
Post a Comment