IELTS Speaking Aug 18 2026 full mock test — Sample Answers
PART 1 — ELEVATORS
1. Do you usually take the elevator when you are going up only a few floors?
Usually, no. If I only have to go up two or three floors, I prefer taking the stairs, especially if I am not carrying anything heavy. It is quicker than waiting for a crowded lift and gives me a little physical activity during the day.
2. Do you mind sharing a lift with people you don’t know?
Not really. I am quite used to it because lifts are normally shared spaces. I tend to stand quietly and give people enough personal space rather than trying to make conversation with strangers.
3. Have you ever been stuck in an elevator?
once, for a few minutes. The lift suddenly stopped between floors, and initially I was quite alarmed. Fortunately, the emergency system worked and we were able to get out safely. It was brief, but it made me much more aware of how dependent we are on such systems.
4. Is there anything you usually notice while you are in a lift?
I often notice the floor numbers and how quickly the lift is moving. If there are mirrors, I might also check my appearance before getting out. Apart from that, I tend to notice how crowded it is because that affects whether I feel comfortable.
5. Would you rather use a lift or stairs in a crowded building?
I would probably choose the stairs if I only needed to climb a few floors. During busy periods, lifts can take several minutes to arrive and are often packed tightly. The stairs give me more control over how quickly I reach my destination.
---
PART 1 — QUEUES
1. Do you usually notice how long a queue is before joining it?
Almost automatically. Before joining, I normally look at the number of people ahead of me and consider how quickly the line is moving. If it is unusually long, I sometimes look for another counter or a self-service option.
2. Are you good at waiting without getting impatient?
It depends on the situation. If I know the delay is unavoidable, I can be fairly patient. However, if the line barely moves because someone is being unnecessarily slow, I do get impatient.
3. Have you ever joined a queue and then realised you were in the wrong one?
Honestly yeah, and it was quite embarrassing. I once stood in a long line at a service centre only to discover that it was for appointments, whereas I needed the walk-in counter. I had to start again from the back, so I now check the signs before joining.
4. Do you prefer standing in a queue or taking a number and waiting?
I prefer taking a number. It feels less restrictive because I can sit down, look around or do something on my phone instead of constantly checking whether the person in front has moved. It also makes the process feel more organised.
5. Have you ever left a queue because it was taking too long?
I have done that when the expected waiting time became unreasonable. Once, I was waiting at a busy food counter and the line hardly moved for about fifteen minutes, so I decided to leave and find another place rather than waste more time.
---
PART 2 — CUE CARD
Describe a time when you unexpectedly had to speak in front of other people.
I remember an occasion when I had to speak unexpectedly during a small gathering at a community centre. I had gone there simply to attend an event, so I had absolutely no intention of addressing anyone.
A few minutes before the programme began, the person who was supposed to introduce one of the activities suddenly became unavailable. The organiser noticed that I was familiar with the subject and asked me to say a few words in front of the audience. There were probably around thirty people sitting there, including several people I had never met before.
Initially, I felt quite nervous because I had no notes and hardly any time to organise my thoughts. Instead of trying to memorise anything, I quickly decided to speak naturally. I started by explaining what the activity was about, gave a simple example and then invited everyone to participate.
Surprisingly, once I had spoken for a minute or two, my nervousness disappeared. I focused on making eye contact and speaking slowly rather than worrying about making every sentence perfect.
Looking back, I think the experience taught me that preparation is useful, but being able to think on your feet is equally important. What seemed like an embarrassing situation initially actually gave me more confidence in dealing with unexpected situations.
---
PART 3 — SPEAKING IN UNEXPECTED SITUATIONS
1. Why do some people become nervous when they suddenly have to speak without preparation?
The main reason is probably the fear of being judged. When people have no time to organise their ideas, they may worry about making grammatical mistakes, forgetting important points or sounding unintelligent. There is also a psychological element: preparation gives people a sense of control, whereas an unexpected question removes that security. As a result, even people who normally communicate well can temporarily lose confidence.
2. Do people today get enough opportunities to practise speaking in front of others outside school or work?
I would say opportunities exist, but many people do not actively use them. Social interaction has increasingly shifted towards messaging and online communication, which does not require the same level of spontaneous speaking. People can, however, practise through community activities, clubs, volunteering or even informal presentations among friends. The issue is less about a complete lack of opportunities and more about whether individuals are willing to put themselves in situations where they have to speak spontaneously.
3. Is being able to speak confidently more important now than it was in the past?
In some respects, yes. Modern education and employment often require people to explain ideas, participate in discussions and communicate with individuals from different backgrounds. Even technically skilled employees may struggle to progress if they cannot express their ideas clearly. That said, confidence should not be confused with simply talking a lot. The ability to listen carefully, organise one's thoughts and respond appropriately is just as important.
4. Should children be encouraged to speak without preparing everything beforehand?
In my view, If children always prepare every sentence, they may become dependent on scripts and struggle when something unexpected happens. Giving them short impromptu speaking activities can teach them to organise their thoughts quickly and remain calm under pressure. At the same time, preparation should still be encouraged for important presentations because planning helps children develop accuracy and structure. The ideal approach is therefore to combine prepared and spontaneous speaking.

No comments:
Post a Comment