Thursday, 8 October 2026

IELTS Speaking — 8 October 2026 Band 9-style samples + useful vocabulary/idioms

IELTS Speaking — 8 October 2026  Band 9-style samples + useful vocabulary/idioms


PART 1 — BREAKFAST

1. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
Most mornings, I keep it fairly simple — usually eggs with toast or something light like fruit and yoghurt. If I’m in a rush, I’ll just grab a cup of tea and eat something later. I’m not really someone who needs a huge meal first thing in the morning.
Vocab: light meal, filling, grab a bite, first thing in the morning

2. Did you eat the same breakfast when you were younger?
Not really. When I was a child, I had a much sweeter tooth, so cereal, toast with jam or something similar was pretty common. These days, I tend to go for something more filling because it keeps me going for longer.
Vocab: sweet tooth, filling, keep me going, growing up

3. Do you prefer a large or small breakfast?
I’d go for something in between. A massive breakfast makes me feel sluggish, but having practically nothing leaves me hungry within an hour. So I usually have enough to feel satisfied without feeling weighed down.
Vocab: in between, sluggish, satisfied, weighed down

4. Do you ever skip breakfast?
Every now and then, especially if I wake up late or have a hectic morning. I know it’s probably not the best habit, but sometimes I’d rather have a proper meal later than force myself to eat when I’m not hungry.
Vocab: hectic morning, every now and then, proper meal, force myself

5. Is breakfast important in your country?
Absolutely, although it varies from family to family. In many homes, it’s more than just a quick meal because people have their own traditional dishes and routines. It can also be a nice chance for everyone to sit down together before the day gets busy.
Vocab: traditional dishes, family routine, sit down together, before the day gets busy

6. Do you prefer sweet or savoury breakfast food?
I’m definitely more into savoury food. I’d happily have eggs, toast or something spicy, whereas very sweet food early in the morning can be a bit much for me. I usually save desserts for later in the day.
Vocab: savoury, be more into, a bit much, save something for later**

Useful expressions: have a sweet tooth, grab a bite, keep me going, every now and then, a bit much, first thing in the morning


---

PART 1 — CLOCKS AND TIME

1. Do you usually wear a watch?
Not particularly. I used to wear one quite regularly, but these days I tend to rely on my phone instead. I do like watches, though, especially simple ones that look smart without being too flashy.
Vocab: rely on, look smart, flashy, regularly

2. How often do you check the time?
Probably more often than I realise! I tend to glance at the time whenever I’m working, travelling or waiting for someone. If I’m busy, I can check it several times without even thinking about it.
Vocab: glance at, keep track of, without thinking, several times

3. Do you prefer digital or traditional clocks?
I have a slight preference for digital ones because they’re quick and easy to read. That said, I think traditional clocks have more character, especially in a home or office. They can actually be quite decorative.
Vocab: slight preference, quick and easy to read, have character, decorative

4. Did you learn to read a clock easily as a child?
It took me a little while to get the hang of it. I could understand the basic idea, but working out the minutes on an analogue clock was confusing at first. Once it clicked, though, I found it pretty straightforward.
Vocab: get the hang of, analogue clock, click, straightforward

5. Are you usually punctual?
I try to be, and I generally arrive a few minutes early rather than cutting it fine. I really dislike making people wait for me, so I usually leave some extra time in case something goes wrong.
Vocab: punctual, arrive early, cut it fine, leave some extra time

Useful expressions: glance at the time, keep track of time, get the hang of, once it clicked, cut it fine


---

PART 2 — SENTIMENTAL POSSESSION

Describe something you own that has sentimental value.

One thing I’m quite attached to is an old handwritten recipe book that belonged to my grandmother. It isn’t particularly valuable in terms of money, but to me, it’s absolutely priceless.

I got it from my family a few years ago when we were clearing out some old things at home. I remember opening it and seeing her handwriting on almost every page. There were recipes for cakes, curries and little snacks, and some of the pages even had tiny notes written in the margins.

I’ve had it for around five years now, and I keep it in a safe place rather than leaving it in the kitchen. I do use it occasionally, but honestly, I think I’m more attached to the book itself than the recipes.

What makes it special is the connection it gives me to my grandmother. Whenever I look through those pages, I can almost picture her sitting in the kitchen, writing everything down in her own way. Some of the measurements are hilariously vague, like “add a little” or “cook until it looks right”! That always makes me smile.

For me, it’s a little piece of family history. I could easily find the same recipes online, but they wouldn’t have her handwriting, her little notes or that personal connection.

So, even though it’s just an old recipe book, I’d never get rid of it. It holds memories that simply can’t be replaced.

Useful vocabulary: sentimental value, priceless, handwritten, family history, personal connection, keepsake, irreplaceable
Natural expressions: quite attached to, clearing out, a little piece of, get rid of, can’t be replaced


---

PART 3 — POSSESSIONS & MEMORIES

1. Why do people keep possessions they rarely use?
I think the main reason is emotional rather than practical. An old object can be tied to a person, a particular period or a special occasion, so throwing it away can feel like throwing away part of that memory. For instance, someone may never use an old school notebook, but it can still take them straight back to their childhood.
Vocab: emotional attachment, practical value, particular period, childhood memories
Expression: take someone straight back to a time

2. Why are sentimental possessions difficult to throw away?
They’re difficult to part with because their value isn’t really in the object itself. It’s the story behind it that matters. A simple gift from a loved one might be completely ordinary to another person, but for its owner, it could represent years of memories and a relationship that means a great deal.
Vocab: part with, emotional significance, represent, meaningful relationship
Expression: hold onto something, mean a great deal

3. Do younger people value possessions differently from older people?
To some extent, yes. Younger people often have easier access to digital alternatives and may prefer experiences over collecting physical belongings. Older generations, on the other hand, may have grown up when things were repaired, reused and kept for years, so they can attach greater significance to certain objects.
Vocab: digital alternatives, material belongings, generations, attach significance
Expression: hold sentimental value, make do with something

4. Can photographs replace physical keepsakes?
They can preserve memories extremely well, but I don’t think they completely replace physical objects. A photograph records what something looked like, whereas holding an actual keepsake can create a much stronger emotional connection. For example, a digital photo of an old gift is useful, but having the actual gift in your hands can bring back memories in a completely different way.
Vocab: preserve memories, physical keepsake, emotional connection, tangible object
Expression: bring back memories, capture a moment, have a personal connection to something

No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Speaking — 8 October 2026 Band 9-style samples + useful vocabulary/idioms

IELTS Speaking — 8 October 2026  Band 9-style samples + useful vocabulary/idioms PART 1 — BREAKFAST 1. What do you usually eat for breakfast...