1. Where is your hometown?
I’m from Chennai, down in southern India, right on the coast.
It’s a huge, lively city with a real mix of modern areas and older neighbourhoods.
I’ve spent most of my life there, so the place feels incredibly familiar to me.
Even after being away for a while, I always feel drawn back to it.
Useful language:
coastal city = seaside city
lively = vibrant / full of life
neighbourhood = local area
feel drawn back = feel pulled back
---
2. What do you like most about your hometown?
I’d probably say the atmosphere is my favourite thing about it.
It’s busy and chaotic at times, but there’s always this wonderful energy in the air.
I’m also a huge fan of the local food and those relaxed evenings by the beach.
Those little things really make the place feel like home.
Useful language:
atmosphere = vibe / character
chaotic = hectic / crazy
wonderful energy = lively atmosphere
make a place feel like home
---
3. What is your hometown famous for?
It’s particularly well-known for its beaches, traditional food and rich cultural heritage.
There are also plenty of historic temples and old neighbourhoods scattered around the city.
Of course, people have their own favourite spots, depending on what they’re into.
For me, it’s the food that really steals the show.
Useful language:
well-known for = famous for
cultural heritage = traditions and history
scattered around = spread throughout
steal the show = be the most impressive part
---
4. Have you lived there all your life?
Pretty much, although I’ve spent short periods away from home as well.
Growing up there means I know the city almost like the back of my hand.
I’ve got favourite shops, restaurants and little corners that I’ve known for years.
So there’s a lot of personal history tied to the place.
Useful language:
pretty much = almost completely
know it like the back of my hand = know it extremely well
little corners = small familiar places
tied to = strongly connected with
---
5. What is the most interesting part of your hometown?
For me, it’s the older parts of the city that have the most character.
You can wander through some streets and suddenly come across a beautiful old building or temple.
There’s a real contrast between those traditional areas and the newer parts.
That mixture gives the city its own personality.
Useful language:
have character = be distinctive
wander through = walk around casually
come across = find unexpectedly
contrast = clear difference
own personality = unique character
---
6. Is your hometown a good place to live?
I’d say it is, especially if you enjoy having everything within easy reach.
There are loads of restaurants, shops, schools and entertainment options around.
It can get hectic, particularly during rush hour, but you learn to work around it.
Overall, I think it offers a pretty comfortable lifestyle.
Useful language:
within easy reach = easy to access
loads of = lots of
hectic = extremely busy
work around something = find a way to manage it
---
7. What do you dislike about your hometown?
The traffic is probably the biggest headache for me.
A journey that should take twenty minutes can sometimes turn into an hour-long ordeal.
The heat can also be pretty intense, especially during the summer months.
Apart from those little frustrations, though, I’m quite attached to the place.
Useful language:
headache = annoying problem
ordeal = unpleasant experience
intense = extreme / severe
attached to = emotionally connected to
---
8. Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
Oh, definitely! It’s become much more modern and far busier than it used to be.
There are new roads, cafés, shopping centres and buildings popping up all over the place.
At the same time, some of my childhood spots have remained exactly the same.
That mix of old and new is actually quite nice.
Useful language:
far busier = considerably busier
popping up = appearing quickly
childhood spots = places from childhood
old and new = traditional and modern
---
9. What is the best thing about growing up there?
I think it gave me a strong sense of community.
I grew up surrounded by familiar faces, family friends and neighbours who looked out for one another.
Even now, I still bump into people I’ve known since I was young.
There’s something really comforting about that.
Useful language:
sense of community = feeling of belonging
familiar faces = people you know
look out for = care for / protect
bump into = meet unexpectedly
---
10. Do you often visit your hometown?
I’m actually there most of the time, so I don’t really think of it as visiting.
I still go back to my favourite local places whenever I get the chance.
Sometimes I’ll just head out for a meal or take a drive around familiar neighbourhoods.
It’s a nice way to switch off and reconnect with the place.
Useful language:
whenever I get the chance = whenever possible
head out = go somewhere
familiar neighbourhoods = areas you know well
switch off = relax mentally
reconnect with = feel connected to again
---
11. Are there many things for young people to do there?
Absolutely, especially now that there are so many cafés, malls, sports centres and entertainment venues.
Young people have plenty of options for meeting friends and spending their free time.
Of course, it depends on your interests, because some activities can be quite expensive.
Still, you’re unlikely to be stuck for something to do.
Useful language:
entertainment venues = places for entertainment
free time = leisure time
stuck for something to do = unable to find an activity
plenty of options = many choices
---
12. Would you recommend your hometown to tourists?
Definitely, although I’d tell them to explore beyond the obvious tourist attractions.
Some of the best experiences are tucked away in local markets, small restaurants and quieter neighbourhoods.
I’d also tell them to try the local food because that’s a huge part of the experience.
If they’re willing to explore, they’ll get a much better feel for the city.
Useful language:
beyond the obvious = beyond the usual choices
tucked away = hidden in a less noticeable place
local markets = traditional markets
get a feel for = understand the atmosphere of
---
13. Do you think you will live in your hometown in the future?
I can definitely see myself settling there eventually.
I might spend a few years somewhere else if life takes me in that direction, though.
But having family, familiar surroundings and all my favourite places nearby is hard to give up.
I have a feeling I’ll find my way back sooner or later.
Useful language:
settle = establish your permanent home
familiar surroundings = places you know well
hard to give up = difficult to leave behind
sooner or later = eventually
find my way back = return eventually
---
14. Is there a place in your hometown that brings back memories?
There’s a particular beach I used to visit with my family when I was younger.
We’d go there in the evening, grab some snacks and just sit around talking.
Whenever I go back, it takes me straight down memory lane.
It’s funny how one familiar place can bring back so many little memories.
Useful language:
bring back memories = make you remember the past
take someone down memory lane = remind someone of the past
familiar place = well-known personal location
little memories = small but meaningful recollections
---
15. If you could change one thing about your hometown, what would it be?
I’d definitely do something about the traffic and public transport.
Getting from one side of the city to another can be a real pain during peak hours.
If public transport were more efficient, everyday life would be much less stressful.
That one change would make a huge difference to the quality of life.
Useful language:
do something about = take action to improve
a real pain = very annoying
peak hours = busiest travel times
make a huge difference = have a major positive effect
quality of life = overall comfort and wellbeing

No comments:
Post a Comment