IELTS Speaking: 10 Self-Practice Tips That Actually Work
1. Mirror Practice — Check Your Body Language
Take a Part 1 question and answer while looking at yourself.
Question: Do you enjoy cooking?
Do: Use natural facial expressions and occasional hand/head movements.
Don’t: Stand completely stiff or constantly move your hands.
Check: “Did I move my hands, head and shoulders naturally?”
This helps your delivery and tone modulation.
---
2. Record → Listen → Correct
Record your answer on your phone, then listen to it critically.
Example:
❌ “I like my city because it is nice. It has nice places.”
✅ “I enjoy living there because it offers a good balance between convenience and a relaxed atmosphere.”
Do: Identify 2–3 specific weaknesses.
Don’t: Simply listen and say, “Sounds okay.”
---
3. Never Memorise Full Answers
Use ideas and structures, not scripts.
Question: Do you enjoy reading?
Plan:
NOW → preference
BEFORE → childhood habit
WHY → relaxation
Do: Speak differently each time.
Don’t: Memorise a paragraph word-for-word.
---
4. Use the PPF Extension Naturally
For suitable Part 1 questions:
PRESENT → PAST → FUTURE
Example:
“I quite enjoy cycling because it helps me stay active. When I was younger, I used to cycle around my neighbourhood with my friends. These days I’m busier, but I’d like to make it part of my weekend routine again.”
Do: Use PPF when it fits.
Don’t: Force three tenses into every answer.
---
5. Practise Part 2 With a Strict Timer
Give yourself exactly 1 minute to prepare and 2 minutes to speak.
Topic: Describe a useful object you own.
Write only keywords:
phone → work → bought 2 years ago → daily use → convenient
Do: Speak from keywords.
Don’t: Write and memorise complete sentences.
---
6. Practise Part 3 Without Stopping After One Idea
Train yourself to develop every opinion.
Use:
POINT → EXPLANATION → EXAMPLE
Question: Should cities improve public transport?
Example:
“I believe they should. Reliable public transport can reduce dependence on private vehicles, which can ease congestion. For example, expanding metro services could encourage commuters to leave their cars at home.”
Do: Explain “why” and give a specific example.
Don’t: Stop after “Yes, because it is useful.”
---
7. Create a “Repeat Words” List
Record yourself and count repeated words.
If you repeatedly say:
❌ “good… good… very good… really good…”
Replace them according to meaning:
✅ beneficial
✅ convenient
✅ enjoyable
✅ effective
✅ practical
✅ worthwhile
Do: Build vocabulary from your own mistakes.
Don’t: Force rare words simply to sound advanced.
---
8. Practise Pausing Instead of Saying “Umm”
Record a difficult Part 3 question.
Instead of:
❌ “Umm… I think… umm… maybe… umm…”
Use a controlled thinking phrase:
✅ “That’s an interesting question. I’d say the main reason is…”
or
✅ “I’ve never really considered this before, but I think…”
Do: Pause for a moment when needed.
Don’t: Fill every silence with “umm,” “like” or “you know.”
---
9. Shadow Your Own Better Recording
Record an improved answer after correcting your mistakes.
Then listen to it and repeat it aloud, copying:
rhythm → pauses → stress → intonation
Example:
“I really enjoy living there because it offers a good balance between convenience and peace.”
Do: Notice which words receive natural emphasis.
Don’t: Copy an unnatural accent.
---
10. Use the 3-Recording Rule
For one question, make three recordings.
Recording 1: Speak naturally without preparation.
Recording 2: Correct grammar, vocabulary and structure.
Recording 3: Focus only on fluency, pronunciation and delivery.
Example:
❌ R1: “I like travelling because it is good.”
→ R2: “I enjoy travelling because it gives me an opportunity to experience different cultures.”
→ R3: Deliver the same idea naturally with better pauses and emphasis.
Do: Compare R1 → R2 → R3.
Don’t: Record the same answer ten times without analysing it.
---
DAILY SOLO ROUTINE — 20 MINUTES
5 min: 3 Part 1 questions
5 min: 1-minute Part 2 preparation + 2-minute recording
5 min: 2 Part 3 questions
5 min: Listen + write your 3 recurring mistakes
Remember:
RECORD → IDENTIFY → CORRECT → RECORD AGAIN
Your phone is not just a recording device. Used properly, it becomes your speaking practice partner and error detector.

No comments:
Post a Comment