1. Broken appliance — Formal
Dear Mr. Thompson,
I am writing to report a malfunctioning washing machine in my apartment at 24 Green Street and to request that it be repaired at the earliest opportunity.
The appliance stopped working yesterday while I was running a normal cycle. Although it switches on, the drum does not rotate and the machine makes an unusual grinding noise. As a result, I have been unable to wash my clothes and have had to use a laundrette nearby, which is both inconvenient and expensive.
Could you please arrange for a qualified technician to inspect the machine? If the appliance cannot be fixed promptly, I would appreciate a temporary replacement until the necessary repairs are completed. I am generally available after 5 p.m. on weekdays and can provide access to the property.
I would be grateful if you could let me know when the technician is likely to visit.
Yours sincerely,
Anshu Sharma
---
2. Noise from neighbour — Semi-formal
Dear Mr. Wilson,
I am writing regarding the considerable noise coming from your house, particularly during the late evening, which has recently begun to disturb my household.
Over the past week, there have been frequent loud conversations, music and occasional furniture being moved after 11 p.m. While I completely understand that everyone needs to enjoy their home, the repeated disturbance has made it difficult for my family to sleep and has affected my ability to work effectively the following morning.
I would therefore appreciate it if you could keep the volume down after around 10 p.m. Perhaps gatherings could be held indoors with the windows closed, especially on weekdays. I am sure this would make a significant difference without preventing you from having friends over.
I hope we can resolve this matter amicably, as I value having a good relationship with my neighbours.
Yours sincerely,
Anshu Sharma
---
3. Request for days off work — Formal
Dear Ms. Carter,
I am writing to request three days of leave from 14 to 16 October due to an important family commitment that requires my presence.
My sister is getting married during this period, and several arrangements need to be completed before the ceremony. As I am closely involved in organising the event, my attendance is essential. I have already checked the team schedule and believe that my absence should not cause significant disruption.
To ensure that my responsibilities are covered, I will complete the urgent tasks beforehand and prepare clear instructions for my colleague, Daniel. I will also remain available by email for anything that genuinely requires my attention during my leave.
I would appreciate your consideration of this request and would be grateful if you could confirm whether these dates can be approved. I will, of course, ensure that I return to work on 17 October as scheduled.
Yours sincerely,
Anshu Sharma
---
4. Invite a friend to stay — Informal
Hi Sarah,
How have you been?! I was actually thinking about you the other day and realised it’s been ages since we properly caught up! So, why don’t you come and stay with me for a few days?
I know you’ve been wanting to visit the city, and I’ve already got a few places in mind that you’d absolutely love. We could check out the new café near my house, spend an afternoon shopping and, of course, have one of our ridiculously long evening chats! You can stay in the spare room, so there’s no need to worry about finding a hotel.
What do you think?! If you’re free next month, let me know which dates work for you. I can pick you up from the station too, so everything will be easy.
It would be so good to have you here again! Come on, say yes?!
Take care,
Anshu
---
5. Hotel room availability and facilities — Semi-formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to enquire about room availability at your hotel for a four-night stay from 18 to 22 October.
I am planning a short holiday with my family and would like to know whether you have a family room available during these dates. We would prefer a quiet room with two beds and, if possible, a balcony. Could you also let me know whether breakfast is included in the room rate and whether guests have access to Wi-Fi and parking facilities?
I would particularly appreciate information about your swimming pool and airport transfer service, as these facilities would be useful during our stay. In addition, please advise me of the total price, including any applicable taxes or additional charges.
I would be grateful if you could send me the relevant details at your earliest convenience so that I can finalise our booking.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
6. Information about a new public facility — Formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to request further information about the new community sports centre that is due to open in our neighbourhood later this year.
I understand that the facility will include a gymnasium, swimming pool and several indoor activity rooms. Could you please clarify when the centre is expected to open and whether local residents will need to register before using these amenities? I would also like to know whether membership will be free or subject to a monthly charge.
In addition, I would appreciate details regarding the opening hours, age restrictions and programmes available for children and senior citizens. Information about parking and public transport connections would also be helpful, particularly for residents who do not have private vehicles.
I believe these details would help local people plan their use of the centre effectively. I look forward to receiving the requested information.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
7. Permission to organise a school event — Formal
Dear Mr. Anderson,
I am writing to seek permission to organise a cultural evening for students at our school on 25 October.
The event would give students an opportunity to showcase traditional music, dance, art and food from different cultures. We are hoping to hold it in the school auditorium after regular classes, with performances lasting approximately two hours. Several students and teachers have already expressed interest in helping with the arrangements.
To ensure that the programme runs smoothly, we would prepare a detailed schedule, assign volunteers to different responsibilities and follow all school safety regulations. We would also ensure that the venue is cleaned immediately afterwards and that normal school activities are not affected.
I would be grateful if you could approve the proposal or advise us of any additional requirements that need to be fulfilled before we begin organising the event.
Yours sincerely,
Anshu Sharma
---
8. Delayed/lost luggage — Formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to complain about my luggage, which was not delivered after my flight from Toronto to Vancouver on 20 September.
When I arrived at the baggage carousel, my suitcase was missing despite waiting for almost an hour. I immediately reported the matter at the airline's service desk and was given reference number VX4821. However, I have not received any meaningful update since then.
The missing suitcase contains several essential items, including prescription-free toiletries, work clothes and documents that I need for a meeting later this week. As I am currently having to purchase replacement items, the delay is causing considerable inconvenience and unexpected expense.
I would therefore appreciate an immediate update on the whereabouts of my baggage and information about the compensation available for essential purchases. Please contact me as soon as possible regarding the next steps.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
9. Apology for missing an important meeting — Semi-formal
Dear Daniel,
I am writing to apologise for missing yesterday’s project meeting, particularly because I understand that several important decisions were made in my absence.
Unfortunately, my train was unexpectedly cancelled while I was travelling to the office, and the replacement service was delayed by almost an hour. I tried to join the meeting online, but the connection on the train was extremely unstable. I realise that this was inconvenient for the team, especially as I was responsible for presenting the latest progress report.
I have already spoken to another colleague and reviewed the meeting notes so that I am fully aware of what was discussed. I will also complete the tasks assigned to me before the agreed deadline. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to clarify or contribute.
I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
Kind regards,
Anshu Sharma
---
10. Library membership, rules and services — Formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to enquire about membership of your public library and the services available to registered users.
I recently moved into the area and would like to become a member. Could you please tell me what documents are required for registration and whether there is an annual membership fee? I would also like to know the maximum number of books that can be borrowed and the standard loan period.
In addition, I am particularly interested in your digital resources. Could you clarify whether members can access e-books, online newspapers and academic databases from home? Information about study rooms, computer facilities and weekend opening hours would also be useful, as I frequently need a quiet place to work.
I would appreciate it if you could provide these details by email, together with any information about special membership benefits for new residents.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
11. Part-time job application — Formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to apply for the part-time customer service position advertised on your company website.
I am currently studying business administration and am available to work approximately 20 hours per week, including evenings and weekends. I have previous experience working in a retail environment, where I developed strong communication skills and learned how to deal calmly with customers in busy situations.
In my previous role, I regularly handled enquiries, processed payments and resolved minor complaints. I am comfortable working as part of a team, but I can also manage responsibilities independently. I believe my flexible availability and customer-focused approach would allow me to contribute effectively to your organisation.
I have attached my CV for your consideration and would welcome the opportunity to discuss my suitability in an interview. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
12. Thanking a friend — Informal
Hey Emma,
How are you?! I’ve been meaning to message you for ages because I really wanted to thank you for everything you did for me last month. Honestly, I don’t know what I would have done without you!
When things were really difficult, you kept checking on me, brought dinner over and even helped me sort out all those annoying practical things I couldn’t deal with at the time. Remember that evening when you stayed up talking to me until midnight?! I’ll never forget that! You somehow managed to make everything feel a little less overwhelming.
I’m doing much better now, thankfully, and I really think your support made a huge difference. I owe you a proper dinner, so when are you free?! My treat this time!
Thanks again for being there when I needed someone. You’re honestly such a good friend!
Take care,
Anshu
---
13. Urgent home maintenance — Formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to request urgent maintenance at my property, as a serious plumbing problem has developed in the kitchen.
Since yesterday morning, the sink has been leaking continuously beneath the cabinet. Although I have turned off the local water supply, the problem has caused considerable dampness and there is now a strong smell of moisture. I am concerned that leaving the issue unresolved could result in further damage to the flooring and kitchen units.
I would therefore appreciate it if you could send a technician to inspect the plumbing as soon as possible. Ideally, I would prefer an appointment tomorrow morning, although I can arrange access at another suitable time if necessary. Please also let me know whether I should take any additional precautions before the technician arrives.
I look forward to your prompt response, given the potentially serious consequences of delaying the repair.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
14. Holiday package enquiry — Semi-formal
Dear Ms. Brown,
I am writing to ask for some information about the holiday packages your agency currently offers for a family trip to Switzerland.
My family and I are hoping to travel for approximately one week in December, and we are particularly interested in a package that combines sightseeing with comfortable accommodation. Could you let me know whether you have any suitable options that include flights, hotel accommodation and local transportation?
I would also appreciate details about the destinations covered by the package. We are especially interested in scenic mountain areas, guided excursions and activities suitable for teenagers. Please also clarify whether meals, travel insurance and entrance fees are included in the quoted price or charged separately.
Could you send me two or three available packages, together with their total costs and cancellation policies? I would like to make a decision once I have compared the options.
Kind regards,
Anshu Sharma
---
15. Faulty product — Formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to complain about a laptop that I purchased from your store on 15 September, as it has developed a serious fault.
Although the device worked normally for the first few days, it now shuts down unexpectedly after approximately twenty minutes of use. I have followed the troubleshooting instructions provided with the product and installed the recommended updates, but the problem persists. This is particularly frustrating because I purchased the laptop for work and study purposes.
I would therefore appreciate either a replacement or a full refund, depending on your store policy. I can provide the original receipt, warranty documents and the product serial number if required. I would also be grateful if you could explain how the item should be returned and how long the replacement process is likely to take.
I hope this matter can be resolved promptly, as I currently have no reliable alternative for my work.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
16. Extra support from teacher — Semi-formal
Dear Ms. Wilson,
I am writing to ask whether it would be possible to arrange a short meeting with you to discuss some additional support with my mathematics coursework.
Although I understand most of the material covered in class, I am struggling with the more advanced problems, particularly those involving algebraic equations. I have been reviewing the lessons and completing the assigned exercises, but I still find it difficult to identify where I am making mistakes.
Would it be possible to meet for twenty or thirty minutes after class sometime next week? I would like to bring a few questions and discuss the areas where I need further clarification. If you are unavailable after school, I would also be happy to attend during a free period.
I would really appreciate your guidance, as I want to strengthen my understanding before the upcoming assessment.
Kind regards,
Anshu Sharma
---
17. Suggesting a community class — Semi-formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to suggest introducing a basic digital photography course at our community centre.
Many local residents, particularly older adults and beginners, own smartphones with high-quality cameras but are unsure how to use their features effectively. A short weekly class could teach participants practical skills such as composition, lighting, editing and organising photographs.
The course could be held once a week for six weeks and taught by a local photographer or experienced volunteer. In addition to providing a useful new activity, it could encourage residents to meet others with similar interests and make greater use of the centre's facilities. If demand is high, further sessions could be arranged later.
I would be grateful if the management committee could consider this proposal and perhaps conduct a short survey to determine local interest. I would be happy to assist with collecting responses if required.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
18. Local issue — Newspaper editor — Formal
Dear Editor,
I am writing to express my concern about the increasing amount of traffic congestion in the central area of our city.
During peak hours, several major roads become severely overcrowded, largely because commuters have limited alternatives to private vehicles. As a result, journeys that normally take twenty minutes can take almost an hour, while nearby residents are also affected by increased noise and air pollution.
I believe the local authorities should give greater attention to improving public transportation and creating safer facilities for cyclists and pedestrians. More frequent buses, better connections between residential areas and employment centres, and dedicated cycling routes could encourage people to leave their cars at home. This would not only make commuting more efficient but could also improve the quality of life for local residents.
I hope your newspaper will highlight this issue and encourage the authorities to consider practical long-term solutions.
Yours faithfully,
Anshu Sharma
---
19. Cannot attend friend's event — Informal
Hey Daniel,
How’s everything going?! I’m really sorry, but I’ve just realised that I won’t be able to make it to your birthday party next Saturday. I honestly hate missing it, especially after you’ve been planning it for so long!
My parents are visiting that weekend, and their travel plans have suddenly changed, so I need to pick them up from the airport and spend the day with them. I tried to see if I could rearrange everything, but unfortunately, it just isn’t going to work. I was really looking forward to seeing everyone and celebrating with you!
Can we catch up the following weekend instead?! I’ll take you out for dinner, and you can tell me everything I missed! And please send me some photos from the party, okay?!
I’m genuinely sorry I can’t be there. I hope you have an amazing time, and we’ll definitely celebrate properly soon!
Take care,
Anshu
---
20. Request for a different accommodation room — Semi-formal
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to request a change of room in the accommodation where I am currently staying.
I was allocated Room 214 when I arrived last week. Unfortunately, it is located directly above the communal lounge, where conversations and television noise continue until quite late in the evening. As I need to study early each morning, the constant disturbance has made it difficult for me to sleep and concentrate.
I would therefore be grateful if I could be moved to a quieter room, preferably one away from common areas and the main entrance. I understand that room changes depend on availability, so I would be happy to consider any suitable alternative. Please let me know if there is a procedure or form that I need to complete before the move can be arranged.
I hope you will be able to consider my request and provide a suitable solution soon.
Kind regards,
Anshu Sharma

No comments:
Post a Comment