Friday, 28 August 2026

IELTS SPEAKING Essential Part 1Topics September 2026:

IELTS SPEAKING Essential  Part 1Topics September 2026:



PART 1 — 25 TOPICS


1. KEYS

Q1. Do you usually carry your keys with you?
Absolutely. I keep them in the little front pocket of my bag because I’m hopeless at finding things when I’m in a hurry. I’d rather have them in one fixed place than waste five minutes hunting around for them.

Q2. Have you ever lost your keys?
Unfortunately, yes, and it was a complete nightmare. I once left them on a shop counter and only realised when I reached my front door. Luckily, the shopkeeper had kept them aside for me.

Q3. Do you keep a spare key?
I do, actually. There’s one with a family member in case I lock myself out. It’s one of those boring little precautions that you hardly think about until you really need it.

Q4. Are modern keys better than old-fashioned ones?
In some ways, definitely. Smart locks are incredibly convenient because you can use a code or your phone instead of carrying metal keys around. That said, I still like having a physical key as a backup.

Ideas: convenience..., security..., losing things..., fixed storage place..., emergency backup.
Vocabulary: spare key, key ring, lock myself out, duplicate, smart lock, security feature, keep something handy.


---

2. MIRRORS

Q1. How often do you look in a mirror?
Quite a few times a day, especially before I leave home. I’m not constantly checking my appearance, but I like making sure my hair and clothes are in place before heading out.

Q2. Do you have many mirrors at home?
We have a few, but nothing excessive. There’s a large one in the bedroom and smaller ones in the bathrooms. The bigger one is particularly useful when I’m getting ready in the morning.

Q3. Have you ever bought a mirror?
Yes, I bought a fairly large one for my bedroom a while ago. I wanted something practical but also something that would make the room feel more spacious. It actually made quite a difference.

Q4. Do you think mirrors are useful?
Definitely, because they’re practical as well as decorative. Apart from checking your appearance, a well-placed mirror can make a small room seem brighter and more open.

Ideas: appearance..., decoration..., room size..., getting ready.
Vocabulary: full-length mirror, reflection, decorative, spacious, well-lit, check my appearance.


---

3. QUEUES

Q1. Do you mind waiting in a queue?
It depends on how long it is. A couple of minutes doesn’t bother me, but standing around for half an hour can get pretty frustrating. I usually occupy myself by checking messages.

Q2. Where do you usually have to wait in line?
Mostly at supermarkets, banks or busy cafés. Supermarkets are probably the most common because there always seems to be someone with a trolley full of groceries ahead of me.

Q3. Are people in your country good at waiting patiently?
It really depends on the situation. Some people are quite patient, while others start getting restless almost immediately. When everyone is in a rush, queues can become surprisingly tense.

Q4. What could make waiting easier?
Clear information would help a lot. If people knew roughly how long they had to wait, they’d probably be less irritated. Comfortable seating and digital ticket systems could also make a difference.

Ideas: patience..., technology..., frustration..., time management.
Vocabulary: stand in line, get restless, time-consuming, estimated waiting time, digital queue, frustrating.


---

4. NAMES

Q1. Do you like your name?
Absolutely. It feels very natural to me because I’ve had it all my life, and I can’t really imagine being called anything else. I also like the fact that it’s easy for people to pronounce.

Q2. How do parents choose names for their children?
There are usually several factors involved. Some parents follow family traditions, while others choose something modern or meaningful. Quite a few also consider how unusual or easy to pronounce a name is.

Q3. Are there any names that are particularly popular in your country?
Yes, certain names come and go in fashion. Traditional names remain popular, but younger parents sometimes prefer shorter or more distinctive ones. Social media has probably influenced this to some extent.

Q4. Would you ever change your name?
Probably not. Even if I didn’t particularly like it, changing it would feel strange after using the same name for decades. It’s quite closely tied to my identity.

Ideas: identity..., family tradition..., popularity..., uniqueness.
Vocabulary: traditional name, distinctive, meaningful, common name, unusual, pronunciation, identity.


---

5. HANDWRITING

Q1. Do you often write things by hand?
Not nearly as much as I used to. Most of my work is done digitally now, but I still jot things down when I need to remember something quickly. Somehow, handwritten notes can feel more memorable.

Q2. Is your handwriting neat?
It depends on how much time I have. When I’m relaxed, it’s reasonably tidy, but if I’m rushing, it becomes almost impossible to read. I suppose my handwriting reflects my mood sometimes.

Q3. Did you have to practise handwriting at school?
Yes, quite a lot. We regularly copied sentences and practised forming letters properly. At the time it felt repetitive, but I can see why teachers considered it important.

Q4. Do you prefer typing or writing by hand?
For longer pieces of work, typing wins hands down because it’s quicker and easier to edit. For short notes, though, I still prefer a pen and paper because it feels more immediate.

Ideas: speed..., memory..., school practice..., convenience.
Vocabulary: jot something down, legible, tidy handwriting, scribble, type, edit, write something down.


---

6. SHOES

Q1. What kind of shoes do you usually wear?
I tend to go for comfortable, practical shoes rather than anything too flashy. Since I spend quite a lot of time on my feet, comfort is a bigger priority for me than fashion.

Q2. Do you enjoy buying shoes?
To be honest, only when I actually need a pair. I’m not someone who buys shoes just for the sake of it. I’d rather find one reliable pair that I can wear regularly.

Q3. Have you ever bought expensive shoes?
A few times, yes, but only when I knew I’d get plenty of use out of them. Paying more can make sense if the quality is noticeably better and they last for years.

Q4. Do you prefer fashionable or comfortable shoes?
Comfort comes first for me. There’s no point wearing something stylish if your feet are killing you after an hour. Ideally, though, I’d choose something that offers both.

Ideas: comfort..., fashion..., durability..., practicality.
Vocabulary: comfortable fit, durable, footwear, stylish, practical, worth the money, wear something regularly.


---

7. DOORS

Q1. Do you usually keep doors open or closed?
It depends on the room. I like keeping common areas open because it makes the house feel more connected, but I prefer bedroom doors closed when I need some privacy.

Q2. Do you like automatic doors?
Yes, especially when I’m carrying bags. They’re incredibly convenient because you don’t have to struggle with a handle while trying not to drop everything.

Q3. Are there many glass doors where you live?
There are quite a few in shops and modern buildings. They look sleek and let in plenty of light, although I sometimes worry about people accidentally walking into them.

Q4. Have you ever had a problem with a door?
Yes, we once had a door that wouldn’t close properly. It was a minor issue, but it became incredibly annoying because we had to push it several times before it actually latched.

Ideas: privacy..., convenience..., safety..., design.
Vocabulary: latch, handle, entrance, automatic sensor, glass panel, privacy, close properly.


---

8. RECEIPTS

Q1. Do you usually keep receipts?
I keep them for expensive purchases, especially electronics or appliances. For everyday things, though, I usually throw them away once I know there’s no problem with the purchase.

Q2. Do you prefer paper or digital receipts?
Digital ones are much easier to store. They don’t pile up in your wallet or disappear somewhere in a drawer. I can simply search for them if I need proof of purchase later.

Q3. Have you ever needed a receipt after buying something?
Yes, once when I had to return an electronic item. Thankfully, I still had the receipt, so the whole process was straightforward. Without it, I probably would have had a headache.

Q4. Do shops in your area usually provide receipts?
Yes, almost everywhere does. Some shops automatically print one, while others ask whether you want a paper or digital copy. Digital receipts seem to be becoming more common.

Ideas: returns..., proof of purchase..., organisation..., convenience.
Vocabulary: proof of purchase, refund, return an item, digital copy, warranty, transaction.


---

9. POCKETS

Q1. Do you usually use your pockets?
Quite often, especially when I’m going somewhere briefly and don’t want to carry a bag. I’ll usually put my phone, keys and maybe some cash in them.

Q2. What do you usually keep in your pockets?
Usually just the essentials. My phone and keys are the main things, although I occasionally find random receipts in there that I completely forgot about.

Q3. Do you think clothes should have more pockets?
Absolutely. Practical pockets are underrated, especially in women’s clothing, where they’re sometimes tiny or completely useless. A decent-sized pocket can save you from carrying another bag.

Q4. Did you use your pockets differently when you were younger?
Yes, definitely. As a child, I used to fill them with all sorts of random things, like stones, toys and bits of paper. I suppose children are natural collectors.

Ideas: convenience..., storage..., clothing design..., childhood habits.
Vocabulary: pocket-sized, handy, carry around, storage, practical design, essentials.


---

10. NEIGHBOURHOOD SHOPS

Q1. Do you often shop at local shops?
Yes, particularly when I need something quickly. They’re usually much more convenient than travelling to a large shopping centre for one or two things.

Q2. What kind of shops are common in your neighbourhood?
There are quite a few grocery shops, pharmacies and small cafés. Most of them are independently owned, so the atmosphere is a little more personal than in large chains.

Q3. Why do people still use small shops?
Convenience is probably the biggest reason. They’re nearby, the staff often recognise regular customers, and you can usually get in and out quickly.

Q4. Do you think local shops will survive in the future?
I think many will, provided they adapt. Online shopping is a serious competitor, but small shops can still offer personal service and products that large platforms don’t always provide.

Ideas: convenience..., personal service..., competition..., community.
Vocabulary: independent retailer, regular customer, local economy, personalised service, convenient, compete with.


---

11. WAITING

Q1. Are you good at waiting?
I’m reasonably patient, but I don’t enjoy waiting without knowing what’s happening. If there’s a clear reason for the delay, I can accept it much more easily.

Q2. What do you usually do while waiting?
I normally check my phone, read something or listen to music. If I’m expecting a long wait, I’ll deliberately bring something to keep myself occupied.

Q3. When was the last time you waited for something important?
Recently, I had to wait for an important response, and it felt much longer than it actually was. I kept checking my phone even though I knew there was nothing I could do to speed things up.

Q4. Do people today have less patience than in the past?
I’d say so, largely because everything is available instantly now. We can order food, communicate and access information within seconds, so delays naturally feel more frustrating.

Ideas: patience..., instant services..., uncertainty..., distraction.
Vocabulary: delayed, impatient, occupy myself, instant access, frustrating, keep checking.


---

12. HOUSEHOLD OBJECTS

Q1. What household item do you use most?
Probably my phone, although technically it’s not a traditional household item. Apart from that, I’d say the kitchen appliances I use every day are absolutely indispensable.

Q2. Do you have an old object at home that you still use?
Yes, there’s an old piece of furniture that has been in the family for years. It isn’t particularly modern, but it’s sturdy and has sentimental value.

Q3. Do you usually replace household objects quickly?
Not really. If something still works properly, I tend to keep using it. I only replace things when they become unreliable, unsafe or too outdated to be useful.

Q4. What household item would you find difficult to live without?
My refrigerator, without a doubt. It sounds mundane, but daily life would become incredibly inconvenient without it, especially when it comes to storing fresh food.

Ideas: usefulness..., durability..., memories..., necessity.
Vocabulary: indispensable, sturdy, outdated, replace, household appliance, sentimental value.


---

13. LISTS

Q1. Do you make lists?
All the time, especially when I have several things to remember. Writing them down clears my head and stops small tasks from slipping through the cracks.

Q2. What kind of lists do you make?
Mostly shopping lists and daily to-do lists. Occasionally I’ll make a list before travelling because otherwise I’m almost guaranteed to forget something important.

Q3. Do you prefer paper lists or lists on your phone?
I use both, but my phone is more practical for long lists. For very short tasks, though, scribbling something on paper is quicker.

Q4. Did you make lists when you were a child?
Not really. Children tend to rely on memory or simply deal with things as they come. I only started making lists regularly when my responsibilities increased.

Ideas: organisation..., memory..., productivity..., reducing stress.
Vocabulary: to-do list, jot down, stay organised, slip through the cracks, prioritise, keep track of.


---

14. SILENCE

Q1. Do you enjoy quiet places?
Definitely, especially when I need to concentrate. A peaceful environment helps me think clearly, whereas constant background noise can become distracting after a while.

Q2. Where do you usually go when you want some peace and quiet?
Usually my room or a quiet corner of a library. I don’t necessarily need complete silence; I just prefer somewhere without constant conversations or traffic noise.

Q3. Is your home usually quiet?
Not particularly. There’s usually something going on, especially during the day. I’ve actually become quite good at finding little pockets of quiet when I need them.

Q4. Do you think people need more silence nowadays?
Probably. We’re surrounded by notifications, traffic, videos and conversations almost constantly. Having a little uninterrupted time can be surprisingly refreshing.

Ideas: concentration..., relaxation..., noise pollution..., digital overload.
Vocabulary: peaceful, uninterrupted, background noise, distracting, quiet corner, recharge.


---

15. BORROWING

Q1. Do you often borrow things from other people?
Not very often because I prefer being self-sufficient. I’ll borrow something occasionally if it’s an item I’m only going to use once or twice.

Q2. What kinds of things do people usually borrow?
Usually practical things such as books, tools, chargers or kitchen equipment. There’s not much point everyone buying something that sits unused most of the time.

Q3. Do you mind lending your things to others?
Not generally, provided I trust the person. I only get uncomfortable when something valuable is involved because I’d hate to damage a friendship over a misplaced item.

Q4. Have you ever forgotten to return something?
Yes, once or twice, especially with books. I genuinely forgot rather than deliberately keeping them, but I felt quite awkward when the owner eventually asked for them back.

Ideas: trust..., sharing..., saving money..., responsibility.
Vocabulary: lend, borrow, return, self-sufficient, valuable, misplaced, take responsibility.


---

16. PUBLIC NOTICES

Q1. Do you usually read public signs and notices?
If they’re relevant to me, definitely. I tend to scan them when I’m somewhere unfamiliar because they often contain useful information about directions, rules or changes.

Q2. Are public notices easy to understand?
Most are, but some are unnecessarily complicated. A short, clear message is much more effective than a huge block of formal language that nobody has time to read.

Q3. Have you ever followed a notice that turned out to be wrong?
Yes, once I followed an old sign at a building and ended up going in completely the wrong direction. It was frustrating, but fortunately I realised my mistake fairly quickly.

Q4. What makes a good public notice?
It should be short, visible and straightforward. Important information needs to stand out immediately, particularly in places where people are in a hurry.

Ideas: clarity..., accessibility..., directions..., public safety.
Vocabulary: signage, clearly displayed, straightforward, instructions, warning, directional sign.


---

17. BAGS

Q1. What kind of bag do you usually carry?
I normally use a practical everyday bag with enough space for my essentials. I’m not particularly interested in having lots of different bags for different occasions.

Q2. What do you usually keep in your bag?
The usual essentials—my phone, wallet, keys and a few personal items. If I’m going out for longer, I’ll add a charger and sometimes a bottle of water.

Q3. Do you prefer small or large bags?
Somewhere in between. Tiny bags look nice, but they’re not very practical, while huge ones encourage me to carry half my life around.

Q4. Have you ever lost a bag?
Thankfully, no. I’ve misplaced individual items, but losing an entire bag would be a serious headache because so many important things are usually inside.

Ideas: convenience..., organisation..., fashion..., practicality.
Vocabulary: spacious, compact, essentials, shoulder bag, belongings, carry around.


---

18. SMALL CELEBRATIONS

Q1. Do you enjoy small celebrations?
Absolutely. I actually prefer them to huge events because they feel more relaxed and personal. You can properly talk to people instead of spending the whole time dealing with arrangements.

Q2. What do people usually celebrate in your family?
Mostly birthdays, achievements and small family milestones. We don’t need a huge occasion; sometimes simply getting everyone together is enough.

Q3. Do you prefer celebrating at home or outside?
Usually at home because it’s more comfortable and flexible. We can eat what we like, talk for as long as we want and avoid the pressure of sticking to a schedule.

Q4. Have celebrations changed compared with your childhood?
Quite a bit. Celebrations seem more elaborate now, partly because people share everything online. When I was younger, they were generally simpler and more focused on family.

Ideas: intimacy..., family..., social media..., simplicity.
Vocabulary: milestone, get-together, low-key, intimate, elaborate, memorable occasion.


---

19. BEING ORGANISED

Q1. Are you an organised person?
I’d say I’m fairly organised, especially when something is important. I like knowing what needs to be done rather than trying to remember everything at the last minute.

Q2. How do you organise your day?
I usually have a rough plan rather than scheduling every minute. I prioritise the most important tasks first and leave some breathing room because unexpected things always come up.

Q3. What happens when you are not organised?
I become noticeably more stressed. Even simple tasks start feeling overwhelming when I don’t have a clear idea of where to begin.

Q4. Were you more or less organised as a child?
Definitely less organised. I was much more spontaneous and relied heavily on other people reminding me about things. I gradually became more structured as my responsibilities grew.
Ideas: planning..., productivity..., stress..., responsibility.
Vocabulary: prioritise, schedule, structured, spontaneous, last-minute, breathing room, stay on top of.

20. LOCAL MARKETS
Q1. Do you enjoy visiting local markets?
Yes, particularly when I have time to wander around. They have a completely different atmosphere from supermarkets, and I enjoy seeing fresh produce and talking to sellers.
Q2. What do people usually buy at markets?
Mostly fresh food, clothes, household items and sometimes handmade products. The variety can be surprisingly good, especially if you know which stalls are reliable.
Q3. Are markets popular where you live?
Yes, especially at weekends. People enjoy them because they’re affordable and lively, and many shoppers like supporting local sellers.
Q4. Do you think markets will remain popular in the future?
I think so, although they’ll probably have to adapt. People increasingly value convenience, but there’s still something appealing about buying directly from a local seller.
Ideas: atmosphere..., affordability..., local economy..., fresh produce.
Vocabulary: stall, vendor, fresh produce, bargain, handmade, local seller, bustling.

21. OLD THINGS
Q1. Do you keep old things?
I keep a few things that have some personal meaning, but I’m not particularly sentimental about everything. If something is completely useless, I’d rather get rid of it.
Q2. Is there anything old in your home that you particularly like?
Yes, there are a few family belongings that have been passed down over the years. They’re valuable mainly because of the stories attached to them rather than their price.
Q3. Why do people keep old possessions?
Often because they have emotional value. An ordinary object can remind someone of a person, place or period of their life, so throwing it away can feel surprisingly difficult.
Q4. Do you think people keep too many things nowadays?
In some cases, yes. Cheap products are so easy to obtain that people accumulate things without thinking about whether they actually need them.
Ideas: memories..., sentiment..., clutter..., consumerism.
Vocabulary: keepsake, heirloom, sentimental value, clutter, accumulate, attachment.

22. PHOTOGRAPHS
Q1. Do you often take photographs?
Quite often, particularly when I’m travelling or spending time with family. I don’t photograph absolutely everything, though; I prefer keeping pictures of moments that actually mean something.
Q2. Do you prefer taking photos or looking at old photos?
Probably looking at old ones. It’s funny how a single photograph can bring back details you’d completely forgotten about, including the atmosphere of that particular day.
Q3. Do you keep printed photographs?
I have a few, although most of my pictures are digital now. Printed photos feel more permanent, so I tend to keep them for particularly important memories.
Q4. Why do people take so many photos nowadays?
Smartphones have made photography effortless. People can capture something instantly, and sharing it with friends is almost automatic, so there’s very little barrier to taking pictures.
Ideas: memories..., technology..., permanence..., sharing.
Vocabulary: snapshot, capture a moment, printed copy, digital archive, memorable, preserve memories.

23. PERSONAL SPACE
Q1. Do you like having your own space?
Definitely. I don’t need a huge amount of space, but I like having somewhere I can sit quietly without being interrupted. It helps me switch off after a busy day.
Q2. Do you feel uncomfortable in crowded places?
Sometimes, particularly when people are standing extremely close to me. A busy place itself doesn’t bother me as much as having no personal space.
Q3. Do people need more personal space nowadays?
I think so, especially because modern cities are becoming increasingly crowded. Having even a small private area can make a noticeable difference to people’s comfort.
Q4. Is personal space important at work or school?
Yes, although it depends on the environment. People need opportunities to collaborate, but they also need enough privacy to concentrate without constant interruptions.
Ideas: privacy..., comfort..., concentration..., crowded cities.
Vocabulary: personal boundary, privacy, crowded, confined, uninterrupted, breathing space.

24. DAILY DECISIONS
Q1. Do you make many decisions every day?
Countless small ones, actually. What to eat, what to wear, what to do first—most of them are automatic, but they still add up by the end of the day.
Q2. Are you good at making decisions quickly?
For simple things, yes. When something has long-term consequences, though, I prefer taking my time rather than making a snap decision and regretting it later.
Q3. Do you ask other people for advice?
Sometimes, particularly when I’m too close to the situation to think objectively. I don’t necessarily follow the advice, but another perspective can highlight something I’ve overlooked.
Q4. Have your decisions changed as you have grown older?
Definitely. I’ve become more cautious about long-term consequences. I used to focus mainly on what felt right at the time, whereas now I tend to think several steps ahead.
Ideas: routine..., experience..., consequences..., advice.
Vocabulary: snap decision, weigh up options, perspective, consequence, overlook, think ahead.

25. FREE TIME AT HOME
Q1. What do you usually do in your free time at home?
I usually watch something, read or simply sit down and do absolutely nothing for a while. After a busy day, having some unstructured time can be more relaxing than having another activity planned.
Q2. Do you prefer spending free time alone or with others?
A mixture works best for me. I enjoy socialising, but I also need some quiet time to recharge, especially after a hectic week.
Q3. Did you spend your free time differently when you were younger?
Yes, much more actively. I spent more time playing outside and meeting friends spontaneously. These days, home entertainment makes it incredibly easy to stay indoors.
Q4. Do you think people have enough free time nowadays?
Probably not. Modern life is convenient in many ways, but people are constantly connected and often feel pressure to stay productive. Genuine downtime can be surprisingly difficult to protect.
Ideas: relaxation..., hobbies..., socialising..., digital entertainment..., work-life balance.
Vocabulary: downtime, unwind, recharge, unstructured time, hectic, stay indoors, switch off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS Speaking — 10 October 2026 samples

 IELTS Speaking — 10 October 2026 samples   SET 1 ### PART 1 — MAPS 1\. Do you often use maps? Quite often, actually, especially when I’m vi...