Tuesday, 22 September 2026

IELTS Speaking Part 1 — POLITENESS

IELTS Speaking Part 1 — POLITENESS



1. Do you say “please” and “thank you” often?
Pretty much, especially when I’m asking someone for a favour or receiving something from them.
I think those two little words can make a simple interaction feel much nicer.
Even when I’m in a hurry, I try not to skip them.
It’s such a small thing, but it goes a long way.

2. What do you do when someone is rude to you?
I usually try not to react straight away because I don’t want a small issue to turn into a big one.
I’ll stay calm and keep my tone normal, even if the other person is being difficult.
If they cross the line, though, I’ll politely stand my ground.
There’s no point being rude just because someone else is.

3. Do you find it difficult to refuse a request politely?
Sometimes, especially when I know the other person is expecting me to say yes.
I used to agree to things just to avoid disappointing people, but I’ve got better at saying no.
I normally explain briefly and try to offer another option if I can.
That way, I can be honest without coming across as harsh.

4. Do you apologise when you make a mistake?
Absolutely, if I know I’ve genuinely messed up.
I’d rather admit it and clear the air than pretend nothing happened.
A simple “I’m sorry, that was my mistake” can save a lot of unnecessary tension.
There’s no shame in owning up when you’re in the wrong.

5. Do you think you are more polite with strangers than with people you know well?
Probably, because with close people I’m much more relaxed and less careful about every little thing I say.
I can tease my family or speak quite casually without worrying that they’ll take it the wrong way.
With strangers, I naturally keep a little more distance and choose my words carefully.
I suppose familiarity makes you drop your guard.

Topic Vocabulary

polite = well-mannered, courteous, respectful, considerate, thoughtful, tactful, well-mannered behaviour = good manners, respectful tone = courteous way of speaking, considerate = mindful of other people’s feelings, tactful = careful not to offend, courteous = polite and respectful, appropriate = suitable for the situation, civil = reasonably polite even during disagreement, gracious = pleasantly polite, respectful = showing regard for others, courtesy = polite behaviour, etiquette = accepted rules of polite behaviour, social manners = behaviour expected in social situations, tone of voice = the way your voice sounds, personal boundaries = limits around how people should treat you, mutual respect = respect between people, thoughtful gesture = a small action showing consideration, genuine apology = a sincere expression of regret, polite refusal = saying no respectfully, constructive response = a useful and calm reaction.

25 Natural Idioms & Expressions for Politeness

go a long way = have a surprisingly positive effect, mind your manners = behave politely, show some respect = behave respectfully towards someone, keep your cool = remain calm, watch your tone = be careful about how you speak, choose your words carefully = speak in a tactful way, stand your ground = remain firm without becoming aggressive, clear the air = resolve tension or misunderstanding, own up to something = admit responsibility, make amends = try to repair a mistake or relationship, smooth things over = reduce tension, bite your tongue = stop yourself from saying something rude, take the high road = behave maturely instead of retaliating, give someone the benefit of the doubt = assume they may have a reasonable explanation, meet someone halfway = make a compromise, keep things civil = remain polite despite disagreement, put yourself in someone’s shoes = consider another person’s feelings, come across as = appear to other people, rub someone the wrong way = annoy or irritate someone, cross the line = behave in an unacceptable way, keep someone in mind = consider their needs or feelings, treat someone with respect = behave towards them courteously, be mindful of = pay attention to something that affects others, handle something gracefully = deal with it calmly and politely, know when to back off = recognise when you should give someone space.

High-Scoring Natural Expressions

I try not to make a big deal out of it, I’d rather keep things friendly, I don’t want to come across as rude, I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, I’m quite careful about how I phrase things, I’d rather clear the air than let things build up, I’m not one to pick a fight, I try to keep my cool, I’ll politely stand my ground, I think a little courtesy goes a long way, I don’t take it personally, I know when to bite my tongue, I’d rather be honest without being harsh, I try to put myself in their shoes, I’m quite mindful of other people’s feelings.

Quick Part 1 Formula

Direct answer → personal reason → tiny example/detail → natural finishing thought

Example:
“I usually try to stay calm, mainly because I don’t like unnecessary arguments. If someone’s being rude, I’ll listen first and respond politely rather than getting into a heated exchange. I just think keeping your cool makes life much easier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

IELTS 4–10 October 2026 LRWS — WEEK 2 FULL PRACTICE SHEET

IELTS 4–10 October 2026 LRWS — WEEK 2 FULL PRACTICE SHEET Best date 10 October  --- 1. LISTENING — HIGH-PRIORITY PRACTICE Official Listening...