IELTS June 2026 cue card Sample
Describe a Time When You Got Up Early
15 Strong Idioms & Natural Phrases
1. Burn the midnight oil – study/work late into the night
2. Hit the snooze button – delay getting out of bed
3. Drag myself out of bed – get up unwillingly
4. A bundle of nerves – extremely anxious
5. Butterflies in my stomach – nervous feeling
6. Keep my cool – remain calm
7. Get my head in the game – focus properly
8. Against the clock – racing against time
9. Bright and early – very early in the morning
10. Up at the crack of dawn – awake before sunrise
11. A wake-up call – something that teaches an important lesson
12. Get a head start – begin earlier than others
13. Without a hitch – perfectly, with no problems
14. A small price to pay – minor sacrifice for a bigger benefit
15. Hit the ground running – start something energetically
---
Feelings Vocabulary
sleepy
groggy
exhausted
restless
anxious
tense
relieved
refreshed
energetic
accomplished
proud
satisfied
overwhelmed
excited
motivated
---
Synonyms
Early
before sunrise
at dawn
bright and early
first thing in the morning
at daybreak
Got up
woke up
got out of bed
dragged myself out of bed
rose
was up and about
Tired
exhausted
drained
worn out
sleepy
fatigued
Happy
delighted
thrilled
pleased
over the moon
satisfied
---
Useful Native Phrases
my alarm started blaring
I could barely keep my eyes open
I wasn't fully awake yet
the whole city was still asleep
the streets were dead quiet
I grabbed a quick breakfast
I didn't want to take any chances
I was running on adrenaline
everything fell into place
it turned out better than expected
---
Band 9 Sample (Office Outing)
Oh, I clearly remember one particular morning when I had to drag myself out of bed ridiculously early for an office outing. Our company had organised a team-building trip to a hill station, and everyone was supposed to gather at the office by five in the morning.
Normally, getting me out of bed before sunrise is a real challenge. In fact, I'm the kind of person who hits the snooze button at least two or three times. However, I didn't want to miss the bus or be the last one to arrive, so I set multiple alarms the night before.
To make matters worse, I was so excited that I barely slept. I kept checking the time and worrying that I might oversleep. When my alarm finally started blaring at around four o'clock, I felt completely groggy. For a moment, I thought about staying under the blanket, but I knew I had to get moving.
After getting ready in record time, I grabbed a quick coffee and headed to the meeting point. Surprisingly, the roads were almost empty and the whole city was still asleep. Once I reached the office, I saw my colleagues standing around with sleepy faces, which instantly made me laugh.
The trip itself was fantastic. We played games, took loads of pictures, and spent the entire day enjoying ourselves. Looking back, waking up at the crack of dawn was a small price to pay. The outing brought everyone closer together and created memories that we're still talking about today.
---
Easy Story Ideas for This Cue Card
12th board exam
IELTS/CELPIP test day
Office outing
College industrial visit
School picnic
Family wedding
Airport flight
Religious festival
Trekking trip
Cricket tournament
Train journey
Friend's birthday surprise
Photography trip
Volunteer event
College farewell day

No comments:
Post a Comment